Ever been on vacation and find yourself amidst of “unplanned downtime”? Unplanned downtime is when you didn’t fill that itinerary with a fun activity because you didn’t plan it. Yup, doesn’t apply to me neither! I always find something to do 🙂
But what about certain activities that demand too much of your budget and you need an activity to “pad” your itinerary should you need it? Well, you’re in luck because here is a list of 35 FREE things to do while you are on vacation:
1. Visit a local beach; particularly those that are less popular or unknown by visitors.
2. Read a book you own that you have put off and skip the magazines especially on the sands of suggestion #1.
3. Sign up for a free class. Google some available free creative classes within the area you are visiting. It would be a great opportunity to network with the locals.
4. Play some mini-board games. Raining out to visit the local museum? Kill some time by playing mini-board games with your travel buddy. Mini-board games are available at most retail stores and take up little space in your luggage.
5. Go swimming. Need I say more?!
6. Sunbathe. Wear sunscreen and limit your sun exposure time to no more than 3 hours.
7. Go sightseeing. Most sites don’t require an admission ticket. Research on the internet on free visiting areas in your destination.
8. Visit a local park or playground.
9. Use YouTube videos to tape a candid karaoke sesh. Bored in your hotel room, why not make a video? Keep it G-rated please.
10. Bring your adult coloring book and color pencils by the poolside. Shade in the colors of the sunset while watching the sunset!
11. Visit a museum on a free day. Call the local museum front desk to inquire when to visit.
12. Go hiking.
13. Bring the spa to your hotel room. Pack your favorite spa essentials for a relaxing self-care routine.
14. Photograph the local sights especially the city nightlife.
15. Practice yoga.
16. Write in your journal. Express some gratitude and practice mindfulness.
17. Go on a walking tour.
18. Volunteer for a local organization.
19. Get moving and do some exercise.
20. Write a short letter on a postcard.
21. Take a bubble bath.
22. Put on some music and dance.
23. Window shop at the local stores and town centers.
24. Be a kid again and build a fort.
25. Gaze at the stars.
26. Write a poem or short story. Use your vacation stay as the inspiration.
27. Eat breakfast outdoors while watching the sunrise.
28. Practice origami.
29. Make a new board on Pinterest using your vacation pictures.
30. Browse the local farmers market.
31. Go to a free event.
32. Explore the downtown area of the city.
33. Go for a drive.
34. Practice a new language.
35. Video chat with a friend. Your opportunity to brag about the places you have visited!
Did you find the list helpful?